Overview - S-8204B series
Battery Protection IC for 3-Serial or 4-Serial-Cell Pack S-8204B series
The S-8204B Series includes a voltage detection circuit with high accuracy and a delay circuit, in single use, makes it possible for users to monitor the status of 3-series or 4-series cell lithium-ion rechargeable battery. By switching the voltage level which is applied to the SEL pin, users are able to use this IC either for 3-series or 4-series cell pack.
By cascade connection using this IC, it is also possible to protect 5-series or more cells(*1) rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack.
(*1). Refer to the usage guideline for connection examples of protection circuit with 5-series cell.
- High-accuracy voltage detection for each cell
Overcharge detection voltage n(n=1 to 4): 3.8 V to 4.6 V (50 mV steps) Accuracy ±25 mV
Overcharge release voltage n(n=1 to 4): 3.6 V to 4.6 V (*1) Accuracy ±50 mV
Overdischarge detection voltage n(n =1 to 4): 2.0 V to 3.0 V (100 mV steps) Accuracy ±80mV
Overdischarge release voltage n(n=1 to 4): 2.0 V to 3.4 V (*2) Accuracy ±100 mV
- Discharge overcurrent detection in 3-step
Discharge overcurrent detection voltage 1: 0.05 to 0.30 V (50 mV steps) Accuracy ±15 mV
Discharge overcurrent detection voltage 2: 0.5 V (fixed) Accuracy ±100 mV
Short circuit detection voltage: 1.0 V (fixed) Accuracy ±300 mV
- Settable by external capacitor; Overcharge detection delay time, Overdischarge detection delay time, Discharge overcurrent detection delay time 1, Discharge overcurrent detection delay time 2
(Short circuit detection voltage delay time is internally fixed.)
- Switchable between 3-series and 4-series cell by using the SEL pin
- Independent charging and discharge control by the control pins
- Withstand voltage element: Absolute maximum rating: 24 V
- Wide operating voltage range: 2 V to 22 V
- Wide range of operation temperature: -40°C to +85°C
- Low current consumption: Operation mode 33 µA max.(+25°C), Power-down mode 0.1 µA max. (+25°C)
- Package: 16-Pin TSSOP
- Lead-free products
(Overcharge hysteresis voltage = Overcharge detection voltage - Overcharge release voltage)
(*2). Overdischarge hysteresis voltage n (n = 1 to 4) is selectable in 0 V, or in 0.2 V to 0.7 V in 100 mV step.
(Overdischarge hysteresis voltage = Overdischarge release voltage - Overdischarge detection voltage)
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery packs